Have you thought about your lungs lately?
Contrary to what many think, breathlessness is not a normal part of ageing. Symptoms of lung disease tend to creep up slowly and people often automatically adjust their daily activities to deal with their symptoms rather than getting help.
What is lung disease?
Lung disease is extremely common, affecting approximately one in four Australians. There are many different types of lung disease, including:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (which is an umbrella term for conditions such as emphysema, chronic bronchitis and chronic asthma)
- Lung cancer
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis
What are the symptoms?
The earlier you are diagnosed, the sooner you are able to take control and actively manage your condition so you can enjoy a better quality of life.
Symptoms can include:
- feeling more breathless than others your age
- not being able to walk up the stairs without puffing
- chest pain, fatigue or sudden weight loss
- a cough that has lasted for more than three weeks
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, please see your doctor. If you’re not sure, take our two minute online Lung Health Check.