Lung Cancer Network Australia
Kerrie Callaghan, Project Manager, Lung Cancer, Lung Foundation Australia
Our Shine a Light on Lung Cancer Awareness Events Hit Double Figures in November
Ten shine a light on lung cancer awareness events were held around Australia during Lung Cancer Awareness Month in November. We kick started the month with the first ever Townsville shine a light event held at dusk on The Strand with more than 70 people attending. Townsville Mayor, Jenny Hills; local clinician, Dr Joshi; and lung cancer survivor, Ann Kearney spoke at the event.
A feature of this year’s events has been the creativity of the coordinators. Events included high teas in the park, education forums, a twilight walk and workplace lunch fundraiser. Collectively, our events have raised more than $4,500. A big thank you to everyone involved, especially our event coordinators.
Please visit the Lung Cancer Network Australia website to view photos from the events.
Lung Cancer Telephone Support Groups Return in February
Our bi-monthly telephone support groups give lung cancer patients the opportunity to connect with other patients, share information and experiences and provide support
to one another. This is a free and confidential service and groups are run on the first and third Thursday of each month. If you would like to participate in a telephone support group or find out further information, please phone free call 1800 654 301 and ask for Kerrie.
Fundraise to Support Australia’s Only National Lung Cancer Program
Lung Foundation Australia is the only not for profit organisation that has a lung cancer national program.
If you would like to raise funds for our lung cancer patient support initiatives, you can now set up a shine a light on lung cancer online fundraising page.
- Simply go to: everydayhero.com.au/charity/view?charity=771
- Scroll down to the section “Support Lung Foundation Australia” where you’ll see the shine a light on lung cancer box on the right hand side, click on this which will take you through to the campaign page
- Then, click on “Start Fundraising” and complete the “sign up” procedure
- Once you’ve signed up, you can personalise your fundraising page (e.g. with your story around lung cancer or photos).
- You can now let your community of family and friends know about your initiative via email and social media. Thank you for joining this fundraising initiative and supporting people with lung cancer.