Lung Cancer MDT Directory
The Lung Cancer Multidisciplinary Team (MDT) Directory is the first national directory of its kind and has been developed by Lung Foundation Australia as a service for clinicians, patients and consumers. It is intended to facilitate referrals of patients to hospitals delivering MDT-based lung cancer management.
The MDT approach aims to improve patient care and outcomes by minimising delays between diagnosis and commencement of treatment. MDTs are a collaboration of expert clinical and non-clinical staff from various specialties who meet regularly to develop and review treatment plans for patients under the team’s care. MDTs facilitate communication between disciplines and support access for patients to all treatment modalities regardless of geographical location.
Hospitals utilising MDT-based care provide best practice that not only addresses both the psychological and physical needs of patients but also delivers optimal treatment plans.
National guidelines endorsing MDT-based care include:
- Investigating symptoms of lung cancer: a guide for GPs (Cancer Australia 2012) – reinforcing the importance of rapid referral to a lung cancer MDT; and that lung cancer MDTs across Australia provide the mechanism to improve patient care, outcomes and address variations in care
- Optimal care pathway for people with lung cancer (Cancer Council Australia 2015) – all patients with suspected lung cancer should be referred to a specialist who is affiliated with an MDT
The Lung Foundation strives to deliver better outcomes and hope for patients with lung cancer through its national initiatives:
- The Australian Lung Cancer Conference (ALCC) – bi-annual scientific meeting
- The Australasian Lung Cancer Trials Group (ALTG) – investigator-led clinical trials
- The Lung Cancer Network – evidence-based research, support and advocacy to empower lung cancer patients, their families and carers
- Our Lung Cancer Support Nurse – confidential service for patients, family members, friends and healthcare professionals. FREE CALL 1800 654 301.
The information found within this directory is accurate at the time of publication (June 2016)
The directory will be updated on a 6 monthly basis.
To provide feedback please either FREE CALL 1800 654 301 or email email@example.com