Start Planning for World COPD Day: Wednesday 19 November
Last year’s World COPD Day was our biggest event to date, and we’d like 2014 to be BIGGER! We are inviting patients and health professionals to get involved by choosing from a variety of options:
- Have a static display, wear a “What is COPD?” t-shirt, put up some posters and balloons and place the Lung Health Checklist on your counter tops.
- Arrange to place one of our prepared articles about COPD in your business newsletter, church bulletin, sporting group or other community group newsletters. Ask your local, state and federal member of parliament to place information on their website and in their newsletter.
- If you have connections to newspaper, radio or television media, ask them to include a story about COPD. We can help with content, interview subjects etc.
- Host a “Walk for COPD” – this is ideal for patient groups, pulmonary rehabilitation programs and exercise professionals in the community who could move their class outdoors for the day, wear the t-shirts, measure their distances walked and compete against the other programs by registering total distances walked. If you’d like to add a fundraising component that would be terrific too!
- If you are a health professional, offer to provide inhaler device technique checks on existing patients and discuss salbutamol usage and a lung health check with those who may not be managing well, OR
- Conduct a risk assessment and screening of interested patients/customers. We can show you how! Start practising now so you and your staff will be ready.
Make sure you register your event with us on www.worldcopdday.lungfoundation.com.au to ensure you receive our available health promotion resources. The website has been upgraded to be more user-friendly and will open for registrations from 1 August 2014. If you need assistance with registration, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1800 654 301. Help us to increase community awareness of this under-recognised disease.