This module provides an overview of the early signs and symptoms of a Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) exacerbation and the role of general practice in managing exacerbations in the community, as per the recommendations of COPD-X: Concise Guide for Primary Care.
By the end of this module, participants will be able to:
- Identify the importance of early identification and management of exacerbations of COPD
- Educate patients on how to monitor their symptoms and develop individualised symptom management action plans with COPD patients and their carers
- Describe the value of using controlled oxygen and ventilation during an exacerbation and outline when a patient requires hospitalisation
- Recognise how to implement appropriate management for COPD patients with frequent exacerbations
- Recognise the role of general practice in review and follow-up