This is an interactive 18 module training program designed to increase the knowledge, confidence and skills of nurses and other health professionals in the identification, diagnosis and management of patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). This training includes case studies, care plans, downloadable assessment tools, quizzes, and a final assessment.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify people at risk of COPD
- Educate patients on COPD and evidence-based management
- Support patients and motivate them to engage in self-management practices
- Develop self-management plans with patients
- Work effectively with other members of the multidisciplinary health care team
The modules covered in this training include:
- About COPD
- Physiology of the respiratory system
- Pathophysiology of COPD
- Management of COPD
- Identifying people at risk of COPD
- Measures and specialist referral
- COPD medicines
- Inhaler device technique
- Pulmonary rehabilitation and physical activity
- Breathing techniques, airway clearance, fatigue management and nutrition
- Related conditions
- Smoking cessation
- Immunisation and long term oxygen therapy
- COPD self-management interventions
- Manage exacerbations of COPD.
Continuing Professional Development
This activity has been endorsed by APNA according to approved quality standards criteria. Completion of this educational activity entitles eligible participants to claim up to 12 CPD hours.
This online learning program is endorsed by ACN according to our Continuing Professional Development Endorsed Course Standards. It has been allocated 12 CPD hours according to the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia – Continuing Professional Development Standard.