What do we mean by consumer engagement?
Lung Foundation Australia is committed to enhancing our partnerships with consumers, carers and families so that they are at the heart of everything we do. Our work is centred on the needs of those living with lung disease, and underpinned by the values of compassion, courage, respect and collaboration.
The Consumer Engagement Strategy demonstrates how you can actively partner with us in the planning, implementation and improvement of our services. This includes a range of options so that consumers can decide when and how they want to be involved. Please click here to review the Consumer Engagement Strategy.
The Consumer Engagement Strategy demonstrates how you can actively partner with us in the planning, implementation and improvement of our services. This includes a range of options so that consumers can decide when and how they want to be involved.
What does engagement look like?
- Consumers will be able to engage with Lung Foundation Australia in a way that suits them.
- A wide range of consumers can meaningfully engage with Lung Foundation Australia.
- Consumer, carers and their family will be listened to and their story and lived experience of lung disease will be met with respect and dignity.
- Consumers will provide advice for Lung Foundation Australia, and be involved in the design, planning, implementation and review of services, resources and campaigns.
- Consumers may choose to move into a formal role within the governance structure of Lung Foundation Australia. Training will be available for consumers, carers and family members to meet requirements of a particular role.
Consumer Engagement Survey
Lung Foundation Australia invited consumers to share their voice in the 2019 Consumer Engagement Survey. We were pleased to receive a total of 348 responses, which represents a 16% response rate. These responses played a significant role in helping us shape the Consumer Engagement Strategy and partnership opportunities.
Top five responses in each category for the question, in terms of your connection with Lung Foundation Australia.
What gives you hope?
- New treatments and medications
- Support from Lung Foundation Australia.
What frustrates you?
- Loss of ability and symptoms
- Lack of information
- Doctors availability and knowledge.
What are your expectations?
- To live the best life
- Quality Information
- New treatment updates
- Advocacy and awareness
- Slow disease progression.
The following graph summarises the partnership options that appeal to the respondents.
Consumer Engagement Progress
Lung Foundation Australia have progressed several Consumer Engagement activities to build and enhance our consumer partnerships, including:
- Established an informal Consumer Representative program for our community to share their experiences and perspectives informally within areas of interest to them
- Facilitated virtual Consumer Briefings for our consumer representatives to hear from senior leadership on key projects across Lung Foundation Australia
- Conducted a review of the Consumer Advisory Committee Terms of Reference.
What’s next for Consumer Engagement?
- Continued consultation with Consumer Advisory Committees
- Grow our Consumer Representative community
- Increase use of working groups to co-design on specific projects
- Inform the wider community of committee activity and discussions through publishing the committee meeting reports on our website.
If you are interested in further discussion on consumer engagement please email: firstname.lastname@example.org