This interactive training program designed to increase the knowledge, confidence and skills of pharmacists in the identification and management of patients with COPD.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Educate patients on COPD
- Educate patients on evidence-based management of COPD
- Motivate patients to engage in self-management practices for COPD, including the optimal use of medicines
- Implement a COPD case finding (risk assessment and screening) service within the pharmacy setting
- Work effectively with other members of the multidisciplinary health care team for patients with COPD.
Modules provided in this training course include:
- About COPD
- Physiology of the respiratory system
- Pathophysiology of COPD
- Management of COPD
- Role of the pharmacist in the management of COPD
- COPD medicines
- Inhaler device technique
- COPD screening in community pharmacy
- Planning for a COPD service.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Pharmacists may wish to self-assess whether this activity is suitable for recording as continuing professional development in their CPD record. Guidance on self-recording CPD activities can be found on the Pharmacy Board of Australia website.