Think of four people close to you. One of them is likely to be affected by lung disease in their lifetime. There are over 30 different types of lung disease currently impacting one in four men, women and children across Australia. It is our nation’s second leading cause of death, taking more lives than dementia and diabetes, yet it receives very little publicity, funding, research or support. There is currently no cure for the majority of lung diseases and the impact on the lives of those affected is devastating. This is only intensified by the unfair stigma associated with lung disease which contributes to significant delays in diagnosis and inadequate access to treatment and care. Lung disease is one of the highest health burdens in our country. More needs to be done. It’s time for tackling lung disease to be a national health priority.
Who we are
The trusted central source of guidance and support at every stage of your journey. Lung Foundation Australia is the only charity and leading peak body of its kind in Australia that delivers life-changing research and programs that support and provide hope to people of all ages with a lung disease, and their families, at every stage of the journey. Our aim is to ensure lung health is a priority for all, from promoting lung health and early diagnosis, to supporting people with lung disease and championing equitable access to treatment and care. Our work is centered on the needs of those living with lung disease, and underpinned by the values of compassion, courage, respect and collaboration.
To improve lung health and reduce the impact of lung disease for all Australians through five key areas:
- Research: Driving world-class research into the causes, treatment and cure for lung diseases
- Advocacy: Being a loud and passionate voice for people with lung disease and their needs
- Support: Providing high quality information and support services that help people with lung disease achieve better health outcomes and improve their quality of life
- Awareness: Raising community awareness of lung health, lung disease and the symptoms to look out for
- Education: Providing evidence-based training and programs to support health professionals in the delivery of best practice clinical care.
We rely on the generosity of the community, corporate organisations and our industry partners to continue deliver our work.