Lung disease research in Australia
Research offers hope, whether for a cure or for an improvement in quality of life.
Lung disease, including chronic respiratory conditions and lung cancer, affects millions of Australians. It is our nation’s second leading cause of death¹, yet dedicated research into lung disease is grossly underfunded in Australia.
The prevalence of lung disease and its impact on Australians is devastating. We can change this – through research. By improving our understanding about the disease, we can develop tests, treatments and interventions that will improve the diagnosis, outcomes and quality of life for the millions of people affected by lung disease.
Our commitment to research
Where there is research, there is hope for a healthier future.
Lung Foundation Australia is a leading peak body that directly supports life-changing lung disease research through our comprehensive research program. With money raised through the generosity of organisations and the public, we provide seed funds for research projects that support discoveries towards the prevention, management and cure of lung disease, and we foster early career and established researchers in the field of lung disease research.
The key areas of our program include:
- Research awards and grants: Funding cutting edge research projects supported through a competitive, peer reviewed awards and grants program. Research projects can focus on prevention, early diagnosis, treatment, psychological management or cure for a lung disease.
- Clinical trials: Initiating and facilitating clinical trials in lung cancer and Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF).
- Research registries: Managing two disease registries that provide researchers with a platform of rich longitudinal data for IPF and bronchiectasis.
Our goal is to find advancements in treatments that will mean a better quality of life for people with lung disease, and to ultimately find a cure – the more research we fund, the closer we get to a cure.
We drive a range of lung disease research. From gaining a better understanding of the disease and developing improved treatment options, to psychosocial research aimed at improving quality of life.
Lung Foundation Australia currently focuses its research across a number of key disease areas where we feel we can make the most impact:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Lung cancer/mesothelioma
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis
Lung disease encompasses a vast range of illnesses, and unfortunately there are still areas of lung disease that require more extensive research. You can help fill these gaps and address unmet needs by donating to our research program today.